10 January 2008

irish ancestors

Here's an update on my latest research for our Irish ancestors:

1) Our Ireland immigrant ancestor was John A. Hagan. (For a refresher on him and his family, go to http://members.toast.net/jan.monnin/hagan/Hagan,JohnA/hagan,johna.htm

2) All documentation that I have found for John A. Hagan have not mentioned his Irish birthplace, other than just indicating he was from Ireland.

3) I have been able to uncover that John had a brother named William Hagan and apparently they immigrated from Ireland together in 1853.
(source: John's obituary and William's 1900 census record)

4) They left a mother and sister in Ireland.
(source: John's obituary)

5) Gerald Hagan (Hubert's brother) wrote in a letter to me once that the Hagans were from County Cork. (unconfirmed as of yet).

6) William Hagan lived in Brooklyn New York. He married Annie and they had 3 daughters: Daisy, Lulu and Annie Agnes.
(source: 1870, 1880 and 1900 census records and letters written from the girls to John Van and Mabel Hagan.
Note: I do have a photograph of John Van Hagan and William's 3 daughters. I've attached it.)

7) John Van Hagan (Hubert's father) went and visited them in Nov. 1898 (about a year before he married Mabel Deal).
(source: letter written from Annie to John Van with directions to their house)

8) Recently I also found a record of death record for William Hagan on 02 May 1905 and for Anne, his wife on 01 June 1906 in Kings County, New York.
(source: http://www.italiangen.org/NYCDeathresults.asp?kind=exact&Esurname=hagan&Efirst=&StartYear=1905&EndYear=1906&County=K&B1=Submit)
I have requested copies of their death records. If we're lucky, William's death record will have his parents name and possibly his birth place in Ireland.

9) Just today I found William's passport application from 08 June 1872. I know that this is "our" William, because his signature on the passport application exactly matches the signature on a letter he wrote to John Van Hagan in 1903. I've attached a copy of the application. It does not listed his place of birth or have a photo, but it does list his description at the bottom. I wonder if he got a passport for the death of a family member in Ireland?

10) I know that Annie (and probably William) were buried at the Greenwood Cemetery in Kings County, New York.

11) Since I now know exact death dates, I am writing to the library in Brooklyn to locate an obituary.

No comments: